Where you’re born. What street you live on. How rich your parents are. These things still define how well a child in modern Britain does in school and for the rest of their lives.
As Liberal Democrats, we believe that education should always be a step up; a way to knock down – not reinforce – the barriers that stand in your way to the life that you want.
We want to build a society where every young person, whatever their background or circumstances, can grow up and achieve anything they set their mind to.
To do that, our education system must be properly funded.
That’s why, if elected your MP, George Turner – the Liberal Democrat candidate for Vauxhall – would:
- Fight to secure access to affordable childcare for your family;
- Safeguard the Pupil Premium – the additional money the Liberal Democrats introduced in Government to support pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds;
- Protect school funding in real terms;
- Value our teachers, giving them the respect and support they deserve;
- Promote greater investment in further education and adult skills training; and
- Support more young people to get a great start in the career they want, through an apprenticeship.
That’s in a stark contrast to Kate Hoey, whose vocal support for the Conservative government’s plans to return to selective education – with a new generation of grammar schools – will disproportionately benefit children from wealthier backgrounds, leaving others behind.
Vote for George Turner on 8 June, and together we can ensure that every child in Vauxhall and across Britain gets the chance they deserve, with an education system that can help them gain the essential skills to lead the life they wish.