Nearly four years after the Grenfell disaster hundreds of thousands of Londoners remain adversely affected by the failure of the Conservative Government to tackle the issue. This is putting lives at risk and putting many residents into financial distress.
Lambeth Liberal Democrats support the 10 demands of the End Our Cladding Scandal campaign:
- The government must lead an urgent national effort to remove all dangerous cladding from buildings by June 2022.
- The Building Safety Fund must cover all buildings, regardless of height, and a range of internal and external fire safety defects, not just cladding.
- The government should provide the money up front and then seek to recover it from any responsible parties or via a temporary levy on development.
- Social housing providers must have full and equal access to the fund.
- The government must compel building owners or managers to be honest with residents about fire safety defects.
- The government should cover the cost of interim safety measures.
- The government should act as an insurer of last resort and underwrite insurance where premiums have soared.
- A fairer, faster process is needed to replace the EWS form and funding is necessary to ensure all buildings requiring a form are surveyed within 12 months.
- Mental health support must be offered to affected residents.
- Protecting residents from historic and future costs must be a key commitment of new building safety legislation.
Urgent action is needed. The Government and the Mayor of London need to work together to make buildings safe and ensure that none of the costs are passed on to residents. We are currently investigating the progress of remedial work in Lambeth.
If you agree with us, please sign our London-wide petition.